Sunday, August 24, 2008

Rebound

The definition from Merriam-Webster.

Main Entry:
1re·bound
Function:
verb

intransitive verb1 a: to spring back on or as if on collision or impact with another body b: to recover from setback or frustration

When I think of the word rebound these days I do with another connotation and I am writing about it because I finally understand the concept.

I used to think of rebound from a previous relationship is latching on to the first person you see to scratch that physical itch. That desire to be touched. The desire to have that feeling back. That feeling of familiarity. One of the best things about sex with my ex was after we were done knowing that he was the only person I was sharing that part of myself with. Sex with a person that you are in a relationship with is so much better than just having a one night stand. You can't obtain that level of intimacy with a person you must met.

That is but one small part of rebound. Rebound is jumping into another relationship because in the back of your mind you think that this new person is going to take the pain away of your last break up. But what happens is you figure out you are still feeling the last guy and being with someone new is just a painful reminder that you are no longer with the one you are rebounding from.

Now a completely innocent person is hurt because you didn't give yourself time to heal.

I think we need to as Colombini famously puts it "retrain your brain". I feel Merriam and Webster are right when they say rebound is about recovery. When you date on the rebound that is nothing more than setback.

No comments: