Saturday, August 23, 2008

Current Mood: Positive








Today was a positive day. I'm trying to keep that the mood of the day. Something bad happened to my mom but I'm still trying to stay positive. Today the Three Brothers Foundation held their annual Be a Mentor for a Day program. Today we met at Plainfield High School and we had the opportunity to serve as mentors for a day for children ages 10 - 18. Unfortunately Google maps screwed me and took me on a nice tour of Jersey and I was late. I got there anyway and I say better late than never.




I missed the networking and mentor presentation but I am still very happy to have the experience. I had the opportunity to mentor one little 9 year old girl who wanted to be a science teacher. She didn't have much to say. I think her mother forced her to come to the event.




Today's event did my heart well. I am so glad to see evidence of what I already know. I know that Black people aren't dumb or lazy. I will never forget as a child some of the things that teachers said to me. Teachers fail to realize sometimes the impact they have on a child especially with the things they say. Some teachers believe in stereotypes and they believe in them so much they pass them off to others as truth.




Where would these three individuals who made a pact to become doctors be today if not for people helping them and encouraging them? How many future doctors do we lose to the streets and violence because no one cares enough to give them the love and direction that they need.




It warmed my heart today to see that they were more mentors than mentees present at the event. I am glad that there are other people who see the need to help and that see the problems that need to be addressed. The sad part was there were about 30 kids that signed in but did not stay long enough to be mentored.




It pleased me to see so many parents sitting with their children. I saw a lot of loving faces today and kids that will be okay because of the parents they have.




I want to say thank you to the doctors. It doesn't take much. You can't always do it all but you should definitely do what you can.

No comments: