Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mrs. Michelle Obama

I just watched the first day of the Democratic National Convention and I am overcome. I am going to try to keep this post positive and not criticize Cindy McCain. It is important to me to develop my critical thinking skills. Apart of that is to have a good understanding of both of our potential first ladies before I pass negative criticism on either one.

I remember Primary day like it was yesterday. My Uncle Richard and Auntie Kathleen were visiting from North Carolina and we all came up with many reasons why Hillary Clinton was going to be our next Democratic National Candidate for President. So I decided that the next day I was going to cast my vote for Hillary Clinton.

The next day when I went to vote I stood in the poll both frozen in my shoes for a moment. I knew what I came to do but for some reason I couldn't do it. I wanted to vote for Hillary but my hand wouldn't leave the side of my body to pull the lever. Then I changed my mind. As soon as I had it my head to vote for Barack Obama I regained my composure and cast my vote.

Ever since then I have just received confirmation after confirmation from the Obama Family that I made the right choice that day.

If someone from another country asked me the roles and responsibilities of a first lady I wouldn't have much to say. After watching Michelle Obama give her speech I know what a first lady is because it is her. She is the woman that I've always known. She is the woman that was portrayed for so many years by Phylicia Rashad. on the Cosby Show. She is the woman I aspire to be. With Michelle as first lady, I feel we will have less little black girls dancing half naked in a music video. When you listen to Mrs. Obama you cannot help but want to be better and do better, for yourself and your community.

Barack and Michelle Obama know America. I feel they know America more than I do. They know it because they have walked all forms of the dream. They both grew up in working class homes and worked their way up. Even though they were able to provide their daughters with a comfortable lifestyle I feel they will never allow them to forget to give to other people in life.

To all the people who criticize Michelle Obama for saying for the first time she was proud to be an American was now just doesn't understand. They don't understand a country that you worked hard for. It is a country that tells you all you need is hard work and education and when you do that it still kicks you in the teeth. The people who criticize Mrs. Obama does not know how it feels to be treated as a second class citizen.

Mrs Obama will be a great first lady because yes she has been yes she will be.

No comments: