Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy

First I would like to say this. I came home tonight to spend time with my family because it is my father's birthday and my Mom said she wanted me home. I came home to an empty house. I'm not saying my family should sit in a room all day and cry but damn stop acting like you need me so much. My brother doesn't think of these things. He generally doesn't think of anyone but himself but he has always been like that so the fact that he is not home does not surprise me. My Mom had her chapter meeting tonight which she said was going to be short. It was supposed to start at 7:00 and it's 8:59. I know better. I have my own chapter meeting tomorrow night and I know they are never short.

My Dad would have been 68 today if he were still alive. (I often wonder how long will I continue to do that. For example will I say in 40 years Dad would have been 108 today) My Auntie Len would have called today to wish him Happy Birthday and they would have talked and laughed and it would have filled the room. I will never forget the day I came home 5 years ago and my mom told me my Auntie Len was dead. I will never forget the fact that she called me a few weeks before and I said I would call her over the holidays. I would have loved to know what she wanted to say to me but I guess I never will.

My Auntie Len wanted me to move to Baton Rouge and live with her while I attended college. I wish I had the strength and the courage to make such a bold move. She would have treated my 19 year old irresponsible self as a child. I would have had a curfew but probably had the flyest gpa coming. She would have probably married me off by now and I would have popped out three or four kids like Franka did. She would have baby sat and would given my children all the love one can possibly give. She was that kind of lady. If I lived in the South my father would have probably came to stay with me for months at a time. He would have loved my kids too. He was that kind of guy.

Today I think of two people that I lost that were so dear to me. I know they will never know my children and my children won't know how wonderful they were.
















































































Stephanie Mills Home
When I think of homeI think of a resting place
A place where theres peace, quiet, and serenity
And thats where some of my friends have gone
Friends who have traveled with me through my wonderful experience in Oz
A journey Ill never forget
When I think of home, I think of a place
Wheres theres love overflowing
I wish I was home, I wish I was back there
With the things Ive been knowing
Wind that makes the tall grass bend into leaning
Suddenly the raindrops that fall they have a meaning
Sprinklin the scene
Makes it all clean(When I think of home)
Maybe theres a chance for me to go back
Now that I have some direction(Maybe theres a chance Ill get home)
It sure would be nice to be back at home
Where theres love and affection
And just maybe I can convince time to slow up
Givin me enough time, ooh, in my life to grow up
Time be my friend
And let me start again
Suddenly my worlds gone and change its fate
And I still know where Im going
I have had my mind spun round in space
And watched it growing
And oh, if youre listening, God, please dont make it hard
To know if we should believe the things that we see
Tell us should we try and stay or should we run away (Should we run away)
Or will it be better just to let things, let them be, oh
Livin here in this brand new world
Might be a fantasy
But its taught me to love, oh, yeah
And its real, its so real, its real to me
And Ive learned that we must look
Inside our hearts to find
A world full of love
Like yours, like mine
Like home
Like, like home(When I think of home)
My friends smilin down on me
Givin me their energy, oh(When I think of home)I think of a peaceful world and joy
All around me, yeah(When I think of home)And love that we share can never
Never, ever be taken away from me, yeah, yeah, yeah(When I think of home)I just sit down and think
And gets on down in my bone, bone, yeah(When I think of home)I can hear my friends tellin me
Stephanie, please sing my song
I wanna sing, I wanna shout
I wanna tell you what its all about