Friday, July 07, 2006

An Oldie....

I posted this on my myspace blog March 24, 2006. Its relavent I promise. That is the reason for the repost. It's relavance will be explained later.


Yesterday, my school hosted a seminar called "Equity Pay for Women". This forum was a part of women's history month and featured Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. I've left the program at home and I wish I can acknowlegde the other speakers on the panel but I cannot recall the names. All I have to say is there were all excellent and very imformative. The morning started off very nice and uneventful and at about 11:00 they breaked for a short intermission. After the intermission began a panel discussioin with Senator Clinton as the moderator. As soon as the Senator came on stage I noticed people standing up in the audience. As the panel discussion continued more people stood with thier backs to the Senator and on the back of their t shirts said "Troops out Now". Then one of the protestors started shouting things during the disscussion. After the panel ended I walked out of the Stahler Center and this group had coffins drapped with American flags on the ground. In addition people were laying on the ground staging a "die-in".
Now I'm all for protesting, freedom of speech and peoples right to demonstration. But why Senator Clinton? These are for the most part (not entirely) college educated students. I'm sure in their time at Stony Brook they learned that a senator from New York does not have the power to withdraw US troops from Iraq. But they still protest against her. Now I am aware of the fact that Senator Clinton voted for the resolution that sent troops into Iraq but many senators voted for that war. I wondered "Does Charles Schumar get the same reception Hillary does?"
Yesterday I realized again why Hillary Rodham Clinton is one of my heroes. First she was a working mother and First Lady of Arkansas. In 1980 when President Clinton became governor, I'm sure that did not sit well in the conservative south. I'm sure you had to battle people during that time. When she became First Lady of the United States more people hated her for wanting to work and help her husband improve this counrty. When her husband had an affair she stood by him despite the betrayl. Because of her decision she faced oppostion from feminists who didn't agree with the "Stand by you Man" mantra. Then Kenneth Starr and his team came later and tried to crucify her and her husband for his affair. Now her husband's indisrection was on public record. When that was over and she decided she wanted a political identity besides being First Lady she was atttacked again for wanting to represent New York in the Senate. And now she is attacked for a war she has no control over but she still does it. She still gets up everyday and fights a fight most women don't have it in them to do. She deals with small minded men on a regular basis and....

She is still standing, still strong
Thank you Senator Clinton for dealing with bullshit so I don't have to.

No comments: