Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Moratorium

Last week I made a decision to cease all blogs and discussions about my single status. One of my pet peeves in life is its repetition. I hate the fact that most of the time life is truly like the movie Groundhog Day. It bothers me that life is the same shit different day. I don’t like it when other people complain about the same things over and over then why should I. Today is July 5th and in 17 days I will be 27 years old. In 27th years on this planet I had to have learned something. The other day I was telling someone one of the good things about getting older is you don’t worry about things as much. Except for a few crabby ones how many stressed out senior citizens do you know? When I think of my grandmother I don’t ever remember her sitting me down complaining about her lack of a social life. I remember being 17 and sitting on the phone with my friends crying because I don’t have a boyfriend. Thankfully the crying has stopped but, the sitting on the phone complaining to my friends because I am not in a relationship still occasionally happens.


In September, my neighbors’ nephew is getting married. The betrothed has a little brother that is my age. Ever since my neighbor moved into her house she has tried to get me together with this boy we will call Jack. I have no interest at all in Jack. I had none then and I have none now. The funny thing is I don’t think Jack had any interest in me either but his mom and my neighbor tried and tried again. Well my mother ran into Jack and his girlfriend at a my pre wedding function and Jack was in attendance with his girlfriend. Whew, I’m so glad the pressure is off me to date this man. This pre wedding function was last month and my mother has managed to mention Jack and his girlfriend to me several times. Now through several conversations I’ve kept silent. I don’t know what my mother thinks about my relationship status. In all of my eligible dating years I have never brought a man home to meet my mother. The reason for that is my mother. I was always afraid of two very different reactions; either she would be really happy or very upset. My mother has yet to grasp the concept of I am an adult and whom ever I chose to spend my time with is my choice. If she were upset about my choice in a man she would be very annoying to me about and we would fight constantly. I can hear her now telling me to stop seeing him. Or she would be really happy about it and if me and said man were to breakup she would interfere so much to try to get us back together. I get angry at my mother for treating me like a child when I know in some ways I still play the role. Now I am pretty independent but I guess somewhere in the back of mind I am still looking for her approval and that is why she has never met any of the men I’ve dated.


In 27th years something has to change. There are more important things going on in my life right now that I have decided to focus on.

No comments: