Saturday, January 16, 2010

For the meek shall inherit the earth...

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land.
Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
I remember being a young girl in Catholic elementary school and we were required to know the 8 Beatitudes. We were many a times tested on them. Since the tragedy that occurred in Haiti this past week I've been thinking about them even more. We here from deeply religious people that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but one must ask; how much more is Haiti to endure.

When I first heard a massive earthquake hit the small island of Haiti, my first thought went to Sandrine. I knew she was home but for a split second my heart broke at the thought that if this occurred a week ago I could have lost a woman who has become my sister. God must have a plan for it should be known that I would not function well without her.

My thoughts are still with her. Never in the 6 years I've known her have I heard that kind of pain.

I know I am all about the photos. But this time I could not post them. Well for one they are all over the Internet. I cannot in good faith post those pictures because those are not the images I want on my blog of Haiti.

I watched the news today. Good Morning America as I always do. There was a story about a white girl that lost her leg. Another story about a white couple that is adopting an orphaned Haitian child. When tragedy strikes white people as individuals are great. White people as a group (e.g Bush Administration during Katrina) not so much. I thought to myself today "Why do I feel soooo bad?" Is it because I see people in pain that I love or is it because I don't feel well because I cannot take away a loved ones pain?" I think that is why we are bombarded with hundreds of stories of white people doing these selfless things. It is there way of wiping the slate clean.

Haiti was the first independent country in the Western Hemisphere. How does a country go from the first to gain independence to a third world nation. I do not blame the people of Haiti I blame their management. The government has failed this country for many years. My hope for Haiti my prayer is that this tragedy is the opportunity to rebuild and be the country it could be. I don't post photos of Haiti today because I chose to see it for what it could be and not for what it was.


----------------
Listening to: Donnie McClurkin - We Fall Down

No comments: